Study in UK without IELTS
If you want to graduate from a British institution, your English Language must be fluent. There are a few English Language tests that most universities want you to take before you embark on your study abroad journey. One of those tests is IELTS and this is prevalent in the UK. Any student whose native language is not English is required to clear this test in order to be accepted into one of the reputed universities in the UK. But what if we say that you can study in the UK even without taking up this test?
You heard it right! Your IELTS score is no longer mandatory for your study abroad in the UK. Wondering how? That's what we're about to explain.
Study in the UK without IELTS Score Band
Overseas students can now get into one of the top universities in the UK for their higher education without the IELTS score card. Considering the fact that most students worldwide establish great English proficiency, certain universities in the UK have let go of the necessity of having IELTS as one of their screening criteria.
Keep reading to find out how this works!
What is IELTS?
The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is a standardised test you must take if you are required to move to another country where the native language is English. This includes countries like Canada, Australia, New Zealand, the USA, and the UK.
This 3-hour test will assess your ability to read, write, and speak in English and you will be graded on a scale of 1 to 9.
But now there is a possibility that you don't have to prove your English skills through this test to study in the UK.
UK Universities where International Students can now study without IELTS:
- Sheffield Hallam University
- University of Warwick
- Birmingham City University
- University of Bristol
- London Southbank University
- Northumbria University
- Robert Gordon University
- The University of Bolton
- University of Northampton
- University of Plymouth
- Portsmouth University
- Swansea University
- University of Greenwich
- University of Central Lancashire
- Aston University, Birmingham
- University of Bolton
- Bangor University
- Brunel University
Is it possible to get a UK Study Visa without IELTS?
Yes, it is! You can now study in the UK without IELTS. All you need is a certificate from your university stating that you are eligible to study there without the IELTS and you will be asked to submit this to the immigration authorities.
There are several other conditions that can help you get your UK study visa:
- A university-authorised certificate confirming that you are eligible to study in the UK even without IELTS.
- The UK university acceptance letter.
- For students who will not be taking the IELTS, there is another test called the Secured English Language Test (SELT) which is required for the visa application process.
Studying in the UK Without IELTS
Long gone are the days when universities would ask students to submit the IELTS score card to consider their application. Time has advanced over the years to a point where this process has been simplified and it's no longer a necessity for students to take up IELTS, provided they meet these requirements:
- A few universities go by conducting an online interview where they will assess your English skills.
- Some universities consider your application if you have scored more than 70% in English in your high school and will take that as a criterion to move forward with your candidature.
- If you are applying for a postgraduate degree and you've majored in English as your specialisation, then you need not take up IELTS.
- Certain universities offer a pre-sessional English course apart from your mainstream which is helpful if you wish to study in the UK without IELTS.
- Some universities also take into consideration the medium of your prior institution. If you had studied in one of the places that offer education in the English language, then IELTS is not expected of you.
How Does the UK Admission Process Work Without IELTS?
You might have questions about how the college admission process works, especially if it is without IELTS. But it is the same as any other abroad college admission process.
- You need to meet all the requirements that are expected of you before beginning to apply for universities.
- Choose the course that you want to do and search for top universities that offer the best education.
- As part of the UK immigration application process, you have to pay a health surcharge called the Immigration Health Surcharge to be able to access the National Health Services (NHS).
- Apply for your visa and then attend your visa interview.
- Start planning your journey and other things such as your accommodation.
Why Study in the UK?
The UK and the universities there are known for offering quality education and the diversity of courses available for students is one reason why many international students choose the UK for pursuing their higher education. To make things simpler for you, here are some of the compelling reasons why the UK is one of the best study destinations:
1. Get Recognized for your degree
One of the top reasons for the UK to remain as one of the best study destinations for international students is that the degree that you will be doing in the UK will be recognized worldwide no matter where you are employed in the future. The universities in the UK are known for the creative and innovative environment that they create for their students and they never fail to meet the evolving challenges.
2. Study Whatever You Want to
There are a number of universities in the UK with a wide range of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees for international students to choose from and all of these are recognised as the top universities in the country.
3. You Will Be Respected and Valued
British universities are known for their history of providing world-class education and hence, international students often travel there for study purposes. If you choose to study there, from the time you step inside the country till the time you complete your degree, you will be respected and treated well both by your university and by the people there.
Most universities offer help in transportation from the airport to your place of residence and some of them even provide on-campus accommodation for the first year of your college.
Apart from this, every university has an international student society that helps you get comfortable in the UK and also helps you connect with other international students who are residing there.
Are you Eligible for Scholarships with IELTS?
Believe it or not, irrespective of having IELTS, there are a lot of British universities that offer scholarships to international students out of which some of them are partially funded, while others are fully financed.
Some of them are as follows:
- Reach Oxford Scholarship UK 2022
- British Chevening Scholarship UK 2022
- Commonwealth UK Scholarship 2022
- Clarendon Scholarship 2022 in the UK
- Gates Cambridge Scholarship UK 2022
- Rhodes Scholarship UK 2022
- Bristol University Think Big Scholarships
Working As An Overseas Student in the UK without IELTS
After your graduation, you can work in the UK without IELTS. All you need is the Confirmation Of Acceptance Of Studies Certificate from your university, and the British government will accept this and provide you with legal permission to work in the country as an international student.