Have you often been seeing the term Data Science on the internet? Well, let's decode everything you need to know about Data science. Data science is one discipline that involves gathering data and analysing it to extract critical insights in an organised manner using statistical methods. This particular information that is sourced is thus widely used across different industries and top organisations to make important strategic decisions that will help them grow their business.
Data science is an in-demand field that is in constant need of quality data analysts. Which is why an important field of study like masters in data science needs to be taught and learned in the right way.
Like in most places, the demand for quality data analysts is increasing in the UK as well. And the best part is, the UK also offers some of the best professional courses for students who want to excel in the field.
No matter how much we think we have planned our study abroad journey, there are chances we might end up feeling a bit overwhelmed with the whole process. All you need to do is take one step at a time and let the first step be shortlisting the course of your choice. begin your ultimate search for courses and universities.
If you are planning to stay in the UK after your higher education, here is a blog that can navigate you through the steps of getting a PR in the UK.
Why choose the UK for studying data science?
- With data science being one of the most popular choice of careers in the UK, you will be receiving a world-class education from a top university of your choice. Not to mention, most universities in the UK come under the top ones worldwide!
- Data science comprises a vast range of subjects that can help you develop skills in different fields. You can assure yourself that you have multiple career options to choose from.
- This is one of the courses that never goes out of trend. Name the industry and there will be many ways in which data science contributes to its growth.
Best Data Science Masters Courses in the UK
University of Surrey
MSc Data Science
University of Leeds
Data Science and Analytics MSc, Health Informatics with Data Science PGDip, Data Science and Analytics for Health MRes
University of Essex
MSc Applied Data Science, PhD Data Science, MPhil Data Science, MSc Social Data Science
University of Portsmouth
Data Science and Analytics (Hons)
University of Hertfordshire
MSc Data Science and Analytics, MSc Data Science with Advanced Research
Data Science MSc, Data Science, Computer Intelligence MSc
Best Universities in the UK for Studying Masters in Data Science
The first step in kickstarting your educational journey in Data science starts with choosing the right course at the right university. Here are some of the top universities in the UK where you can study data science.
University of Surrey
The course MSc Data Science at the University of Surrey will provide you with the required knowledge of advanced computation and mathematics. These skills will not only help you grow in the field of data science but also ensure that you learn and understand the concepts beyond textbooks to become a successful data analyst.
Along with the theoretical knowledge, you will also be getting an optional work placement for one year through which you can gain the experience of working in the industry at the time of your education.
- To be eligible to apply for the course, you need to achieve a GPA of 2.7 or 2.9 out of 4.0.
- The university accepts test scores of language tests such as IELTS, TOEFL iBT, and Duolingo English tests. The maximum and required scores for the same are as follows.
- IELTS - 7.0 overall with no component below 6.5.
- Duolingo English test - 120 overall with 110 in each component.
- TOEFL iBT - 95 overall with 23 in reading, 23 in listening, 22 in speaking, and 26 in writing.
- IELTS - 5.5 overall with 5.0 in each component.
- Duolingo English test - 90 overall with 80 in each component.
- TOEFL iBT - 59 overall with 7 in reading, 6 in listening, 15 in speaking, and 17 in writing.
As an international student, when you find a university that puts you first and offers you a great student experience, you keep it. Being student-centric is one of the main agendas of Coventry University and you're sure to excel in your field of study as well as enjoy your life inside the campus.
Data Science and Computational Intelligence MSc is a master's course that will help equip you with the skills of innovative computational intelligence. You will gain a deep knowledge of analysing huge amounts of complex data that can positively impact market strategies and business decisions.
- In a four-year Bachelor's degree program, a student must achieve a CGPA of 2.15 out of 4.0.
- The university accepts both the scores of IELTS and TOEFL iBT. Here are the score requirements for the same.
- IELTS - At least 6.5 overall with a minimum of 5.5 in each component.
- TOEFL iBT - 88 overall with a minimum component score of 19.
The University of Leeds
Studying at an institution that can challenge your intellect is what you need as a student to excel in your field of study. The University of Leeds is equipped with the best of all research equipment and researchers that are going to enhance your experience being on campus. Another great advantage of studying here is the exposure you will get from the university's links with organisations such as Leeds Institute of Data Analytics, Leeds Institute of Fluid Dynamics, and the UK's national institute of data science and artificial intelligence called the AlanTuring Institute.
Data Science and Analytics MSc is one of the popular courses in the university where you will be learning a lot of industry-relevant skills such as analysing structured and unstructured data, analysing large datasets, critically evaluating results in context, and getting insights from data.
- A bachelor's degree in a subject containing a substantial mathematical, statistical, and/or computing component.
- An IELTS score of 6.5 overall, with no less than 6.0 in all components.
The University of Essex
The University of Essex is one of the institutions in the UK that is committed to the development of educational excellence and is a place where you will learn more than just what's there in your curriculum. You will be getting access to specialist research facilities such as the UK Data Archive and the Institute for Social and Economic Research (ISER), both located inside the campus.
The course MSc in Applied Data Science is for students with a background in humanities, social sciences, and life sciences who can contribute to the growing economy in the digital world.
The topics such as Using R for statistical modeling and decision-making, linear and generalised linear models used for experimental and observational data, Artificial intelligence, Deep and statistical learning, Applied statistics, Information retrieval, Digital economy, and Survey sampling are covered in this course.
- A Bachelor's degree with an overall grade of 2.50.
- An IELTS overall score of 6.0 with a minimum of 5.5 in all components.
Having a strong partnership with some of the top universities in the world from some of the hot study destinations, AECC is that perfect study abroad consultancy you've been looking for!
What are some of the in-demand data science jobs in 2023?
Data Science is an important field of study that aids the growing industry demands. Some in-demand data science jobs in 2023 include data analyst, data scientist, data engineer, data architect, and machine learning engineer.
What are some of the widely used data science applications and use cases?
Some of the commonly used data science applications and use cases include healthcare, medical image analysis, airline route planning, drug development, transport and logistics, telecom, network optimisation, advanced spam filter, marketing campaigns, internet search, targeted advertising, breast cancer prediction, genetics research, customer data management, and much more.
What are the 5C's that pertain to data analysts?
These are the 5C's of data that are interrelated: communication, collaboration, creativity, curiosity, and critical thinking.
How does Nelfix make use of data science?
Netflix uses AI-powered algorithms to make predictions based on customer data such as watch history, demographics, ratings, and search history. This provides them with 80% accurate information and helps them understand what the viewers might be interested in watching next.